MOM & BABY YOGA
This is an inclusive set of practices to enhance playful interaction and communication between parent and baby and to promote their healthy development. Baby Yoga perfectly compliments baby massage and expands the benefits of touch with those of movement and relaxation.
We offer a comprehensive stimulation of the senses together with movement and rhythm that babies need in order to best integrate experience and learn. Mom&baby yoga offers an all in one land based practice for parents and babies including massage, holds, stretching, singing and rhymes, game playing and relaxation.
Babies learn lots of shortcuts to ease their transition to developmental milestones (rolling sitting crawling standing walking), but mostly because this is done through loving interaction and fun, it helps their brain to grow lots of happy neuron networks at the time of most intense growth in human life.
Baby yoga helps to attune to your baby’s needs and to calm or stimulate them as appropriate with a sense of security and wellbeing. It is beneficial for all babies, you don’t need to practice yoga or even know anything about yoga to get started with your baby. From Birth babies respond positively to the stimulation of movement and touch together.
Baby Yoga includes a wide range of different practices that can be combined to suit the needs of each baby or toddler through their individual development:
- Gentle body strokes
- Yoga moves adapted to babies (mini twists, mini stretches, upper and lower body movements, diagonal movements).
These moves have been transmitted though generations in India for at least 2000 years
- A blend of postnatal yoga and baby yoga for new mothers
- Playful moves with rhymes
- Joint parent/baby relaxation (walking relaxation, instant relaxation, relaxation to sleep, feeding relaxation)
- Transitional practices (head control, sitting, crawling, standing, early steps, first jumps and balances)
Baby yoga offers quality physical stimulation that has become essential in an urban sedentary lifestyle. For every hour that babies spend strapped in cars seats or home seats, 5 minutes of Baby Yoga provide stretching as a start to a healthy lifestyle. Baby yoga can be practiced instantly anywhere at anytime and always generates a joyful interaction.
The benefits of Mom&baby yoga
Babies have experienced being rocked by their mothers through pregnancy. After birth gentle movement and touch together are the basis of synesthesia (the integration of sensory experience, the way babies unify their sensory experiences in a general way through an emotional interaction with their parents or trusted carers).
The many practices of baby yoga provide recourses to handle babies in ways that they enjoy and that is good for them at every stage of development. An expanding spiral of joy is created between parent and baby as babies express their delight and parents’ warm responses generate even greater delight.
- In one short daily session, babies receive as much physical activity as if they were handled for a few hours. Birthight offers daily routines for parents to engage constructively with their babies from birth as a foundation for future regular exercise
- Baby Yoga promotes more and better sleep
- Regular movement promotes a more ‘settled’ behavior with less extreme ups and downs.
Physiological / developmental benefits
- All the babies bodily systems are stimulated, including the digestive and nervous systems
- Baby Yoga offers recourses to keep babies contented between feeds and helps alleviate wind and colic
- Baby Yoga reduces the frustration of babies in the transition of one developmental stage to another while assisting their transitions
- Tactile stimulation has been shown to contribute to the development of the brain and the nervous system.
- Baby yoga helps the parent and baby to get to know each other better through active means of communication that are easy to learn and practice
- New challenges introduced at a pace that babies can absorb and integrate increase their ability to cope positively with new situations
- Active interaction with parents is the foundation for future positive social relations over the early years and beyond
- Joint relaxation is mutually beneficial for parents and babies and enhances non-verbal communication between them. Early birth trauma can be resolved and healed through this loving interaction.
How it goes
Baby Yoga classes create a warm and friendly atmosphere, promoting enjoyment and confidence in the handling of babies and in ways of relating to our children.
Babies have open hearts and minds and are ready to embrace new experiences.
Each session provides the stimulation of touch, movement and rhythm, as well as the benefits of deep relaxation.
Series of sequences encourage flexibility and bring balance and harmony to the body systems.
Each movement supports the baby’s individual development, strengthening the physical body and enhancing flexibility.
Every class begins with a welcome to all the parents and babies and general guidelines to help you make the most of your time together. It’s fine for babies to feed, need a cuddle or even sleep at times.
Yoga moves for parents are integrated into the sessions and babies delight in the shared experience.